Friday 22 March 2013

Posted by dewi rahma On 09:21
Vegetarian laksa! The holy grail. You might think that vegetarian laksa is easy to come by, after all it's on a lot of menus at a lot of restaurants. But when you ask the burning question 'Is your vegetarian laksa made on vegetable stock?', you will usually be disappointed to find that most restaurants make their laksas solely on chicken or seafood stock.

When Makanan opened a few years ago, I asked that question with a heavy heart, assuming I'd get the usual answer. I couldn't get my order in fast enough when I was told that they'd be happy to make my vegetarian laksa on vegetable stock. And this laksa was the real deal. Rich, creamy, spicy, and full of delicious noodles. You'll be dying to finish the massive bowl, but you won't be able to.

After taking advantage of the vegetarian laksa on numerous occasions, I decided to try a few of the other dishes. My favourites are the gado-gado and the beans with chilli sauce.

Makanan is a family-run restaurant and all the staff are so lovely. The service is quick and friendly, the food is ridiculously cheap, and the atmosphere is enhanced by a hilarious Indonesian singer called Mono on electric keyboard one night a week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment